Friday, June 15, 2007

My Turn

I've been kind of quiet on this blog so I guess it's my turn at telling you something.

Today the group split up. Half of the folks went back to the Habitat work site to continue work on the 2 houses we have been laboring over all week while the other half (which includes me, I'm Carla, btw) went to Arno - Animal Rescue of New Orleans. I thought it would be a good experience to see, yet another, side of New Orleans I have not seen. Also, I've never volunteered for an animal shelter and wanted to see what that was like. There were a few tugs at the ol' heart strings, for sure. The group was put together after the hurricane and have rescued 6000 dogs and cats in the New Orleans area in just under 2 years. Currently, they are working with placing and housing 2800 animals. At the site we were working at I was quite sure exactly how many were being housed there.

We started out in the morning by getting the dogs out one by one to do their business while the staff worked at cleaning cages. Then we split up on tasks and things needing to get done. Jen worked with the kitties all day cleaning cages and giving them needed love and stimulation, play time. Janet and Kim worked with cleaning some of the dogs, walking them, and giving them needed love and attention as well. I tackled a section of the shelter that desparately needed cleaning. It was in sorry shape but I gave it a good wash down and then I got to get in a little play time with Toby and Razoo. I took to these 2 dogs in the back of the shelter because they were older, like my doggy at home, and they were so in need of some attention and a good ear scratch. Razoo really liked the shower I gave him with the hose but Toby wasn't into it as much. There were so many dogs that we just couldn't even get to. The folks there were so appreciative of the work we did AND the donation of $200 we gave them from our fundraising. It felt so good to know that we had lifted their spirits. That tugged at our hearts just as much as all those lovable dogs and cats that are waiting for adoption.

Oh, also, forgot to mention: this is a no-kill facility. Each animal will stay with them until they are able to give them a forever home. All adoptees do need to meet ARNO's requirements for adoption specific to the animal's needs.

Toby and Razoo waiting for their head-scratch.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home