Wednesday, June 13, 2007

As the sweat rolls......



New Orleans is an amazing place....amazingly HOT!!! I know that has been a common topic in our blogs, but seriously, you cannot even imagine the sweat pouring off of our bodies!! We are sweating in places we didn't even know existed.

Last night we had an awesome dinner at Jaques Imo's! I had a chicken pontalba something or other...and it was unbelievable!! Worth every penny!! Great restaurant...I'm not sure Kirsten was too into her food, but she definitely was into her Greyhounds!! Needless to say she was pretty tired by the time we hit Bourbon Street.

The last two days Kirsten and I have been siding a house. Yes, you heard me...Kirsten and I are putting siding on someone's house. She and I were even in charge of our crew on this task. Believe it or not, it actually looks good. We need to thank our professional cutters, Dottie and Cynthia, without them we would be nothing. We now know how to use a "speed square." How many of you can say you've used a speed square?? It's been a blast working on the house.

Today we ate a quick lunch on a 2 X 4 in our usual shady spot next to the dumpster and the gutted out flooded repair garage (lovely smell of motor oil doesn't do much for the appetite) but it's our favorite lunch spot. We didn't have much time to chat with our usual lunch buddy "Rocky" because we took a quick trip to the lower ninth ward. This was the hardest hit area from Katrina. Even almost two years later, it is practically a ghost town. We saw houses that were absolutely destroyed and ripped off their foundations. Many houses had already been bulldozed over and all that was left was the foundation. We saw lots of messages that homeowners had left spray painted on their houses. They said things like, "Home, this was my home." "Roots run deep." It was a very emotional experience. It made the devastion even more real to us. It makes Kirsten and I feel so fortunate to have the homes we have back home in GoldenValley and Minneapolis. Our houses even have the same exact floor plan. Kirsten and I are cosmically linked through our homes! So, it has been great to be here building them together! The new people we have met have been great! Fortunately we were quickly accepted into the Eden Prairie group, and we have made many new friends from other places. We are humbled by the charity and generosity we see around us. Rocky is here on a short break from medical school. We met a man today who lives in New Orleans who takes vacation time to help this rebuilding project. Meeting all of these wonderful people has encouraged us to keep doing projects like this in our own community. As hot and tired as we are, we feel energized and full of hope.


Madeline, I hope you are reading this because we have a lot of great pictures to share!! Take care and see you all soon!!!

Angie and Kirsten

4 Comments:

At 7:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am sooo impressed with what you all have done! I went down for a week as a Carpetbagger but witnessing your acts has seriously moved me. I am not the same man I was yesterday.

My heart goes out to the citizens of NOLA, but my hope and will are stirred by the efforts of you Saints who went marching in.

I love you all,

The Carpetbagger

 
At 10:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Angi!@ I am so pround to say you are my sister in law! you go girl! I know what you guys are doing is hard work but in the end, you are so blessed that to share your gifts with those who need it is really so very special. Thanks for all that you do. The world would be very different if there were not those of you who give personally of yourselves to help others. See you soon. Love Michelle & Madelyn

 
At 3:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So this is a very cool blog and you seem to be a very cool individual. But you know I have to ask...where's my interview? ;o) Thanks for all the good things you're doing for the City. We all appreciate it! Sounds like you're in my neighborhood (Cooter's and Jacques-Imo's) so maybe we'll cross paths again...

 
At 3:47 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Hi Ang! Wow, I am going to call you Bob Villa now! What an experience all around. You are dedicating your time for such a great cause as well as learning valuable skills for the future! That is awesome. It sounds like everyone you are meeting is incredibly awesome and dedicated to this cause. As I sit here in Wisconsin, I am envious of your experience and can't imagine all of the emotions that are flooding through all of you. I am sure it something that can't be described, only experienced. You have given me great inspiration to want to reach out myself and volunteer for Habitat for Humanity! I miss you! Have a safe trip home!! Suzanne

 

Post a Comment

<< Home